Frequently Asked Questions
- What are your check-in and out times?
Our normal check-in is : Summer (BST) 17:30 to 19:30 hours or WInter (GMT) 16:30 to 18:30 hours
Normal check-out is by 10:00 hours
- Do you serve Breakfasts and what type?
As a B & B - breakfast is included in the price and is normally served from 07:30 to 09:00 hours daily
We serve Full Northumbrian cooked breakfasts, lighter breakfasts, vegetarian, gluten or dairy free options.
- What does "4 star self assessed" mean? We are grateful for the guidance that Visit Britain assessment scheme has done for us since 2006 as we progressed from 2 to 3 to 4 stars. We are confident that we can continue to progress our offer using guest review sites and the knowledge gained over 10 years of business.
- Can we have a later breakfast and check-out and what is your charge for this?
9am is mid morning in Kielder and late enough for most people - Kielder Castle tea rooms open by 10am so a late breakfast can be had there.
As we work away daytime some days late check-out is not possible, other days an extra half hour is no problem (and no extra charge) - please ask in advance of your stay.
- Do you have 24 hour reception/room service?
We are not a large hotel with 300 staff, we are a small Bed & Breakfast providing homely 4 star accommodation in the most remote village and the most tranquil part of England, in the heart of Northumberland International Dark Sky Park.
- I have heard mobile phone reception is a bit patchy, surely not?
There is effectively no mobile phone coverage, on any network, for about 20 miles radius of Kielder village.
If you assume this to be true then when you do get a signal this will be a bonus for you.
- Do you have WiFi?
We do have FREE WiFi Broadband at the B&B and this should cover most of you communication needs, we do have land line phone too for emergencies and there are 5 payphones in the village.
- We are competing in an event and want an earlier breakfast, what can you provide?
If all of our visitors that day are competing we can move breakfast time to suit your pre-race eating regime.
Porridge & fruit/yogurt and toast are firm favourites. Eggs too. Please ask when you are booking.
- How close are you to Kielder Observatory?
We are the closest accommodation to the Observatory at 2.4 miles by road. We are 0.5 miles from the turning off the C200 main road.
It is a further 1.9 miles to the upper car park along the single track unmetaled forest road. Then a 1 minute walk to the Observatory itself.
- How long does it take to drive to Observatory?
A few first time visitors are a little apprehensive about driving into the forest in the dark but the 1.9miles from the main road only takes about 10minutes up to the Observatory car park - so if you leave the village (B&B or pub) 15minutes before doors open which is usually 15 ins before event start you will have plenty of time to get there.
As we are less than 2 minutes from the Observatory turnoff, if you are late getting to the area, please check-in before your event - it will take less than 3 minutes. Much better than trying to find a grumpy proprietor at 3:30am in the morning!
- We are visiting Kielder but do not drive how do we get there and in particular up to the Observatory?
Public transport to Kielder is minimal - see local timetable on our Contacts page
Getting about is therefore on bicycle (hire from The Bike Place At Kielder) or on foot.
There are a couple of local taxis - see Contacts page
- We are visiting the Observatory and may return after 3am will this be an issue?
You will have keys to the B&B and your room so no problem with returning late / early - just respect those already asleep!
- Are you Dog friendly?
Yes we accept dogs - at no additional charge - please mention this in your booking. The local pub and castle tea rooms are dog friendly too!
- We are traveling to you on bicycles - are there any facilities for the bikes overnight?
Although we do not subscribe to the Bike Friendly Award Scheme we do offer what you may require during your stay; including:
secure undercover cycle storage, kit drying area, bike wash down area, use of track pump/tools, local knowledge
[Terry has been MTBing & cycling in Kielder since 1986, helped setup local trail building group and operated one of the village bike shops in 2012]
We are 10 minutes walk from the local bike shop The Bike Place At Kielder for spares, repairs, advice, hire (including e-bikes) and banter!
- Is there somewhere we can eat nearby in the evening?
The Angler's Arms pub is 5 minutes walk/1 min drive from the B&B. Serving food 12noon to 8pm daily. Ring to check on 01434 250072 especially in winter. Next options are 6miles, 11miles, 15miles, 16miles and 18 miles or eat on the way to us.
- Where can I park at Twenty Seven B&B?
There is on-street car parking immediately outside on the side nearest to the B&B, if the 4 spaces are busy, please park nearby; either side of the property, the lay-by across from the shop by the bottle bank, the lay-by further up the street. These are all on the public highway, there is no private parking and no charges to park.
- If I arrive early can I park and go for a walk?
Definitely! Please park as per 15. above, call in - I may be about, if not see you later during check-in times.
- Can I leave my bicycle in my vehicle outside the B&B?
If you wish, but obviously we cannot be responsible for your property.
Please use the grass immediately outside the B&B itself, rather than outside any neighbours', if you wish to set up your bike or prepare for the day.
We would politely ask that you do not shock any aged or sensitive neighbours by stripping off on the front lawns.
- How do we find you?
See information on our Contacts page
- Are you sure there are no mobile phone signals in Kielder village?
We do provide a limited mobile signal via the WiFi on the EE network only, so you may find you have a signal at the B&B.
- Where can I find more information on the area and things to do?