Frequently Asked Questions
- Kielder is unique and hence most of the below questions are based on preparation - your preparation for your visit, we try to think of most things to assist your transition to our unique Kielderness experience, we appreciate it may be a culture shock but we hope the following helps.
- What are your check-in and out times?
Our normal check-in is : Summer (BST) 17:30 to 19:30 hours or WInter (GMT) 16:30 to 18:30 hours
Normal check-out is by 10:00 hours
- Do you serve Breakfasts and what type?
As a B & B - breakfast is included in the price and is normally served from 07:30 to 09:00 hours daily
We serve Full Northumbrian cooked breakfasts, lighter breakfasts, vegetarian, gluten or dairy free options.
- What does "4 star self assessed" mean? We are grateful for the guidance that Visit Britain assessment scheme has done for us since 2006 as we progressed from 2 to 3 to 4 stars. We are confident that we can continue to progress our offer using guest review sites and the knowledge gained over 10 years of business to offer a standard equivalent to an upper 4 star service.
- Can we have a later breakfast and check-out and what is your charge for this?
9am is mid morning in Kielder and late enough for most people - Kielder Castle tea rooms open by 10am so a late breakfast can be had there.
As we work away daytime some days late check-out is not always possible, other days an extra half hour is no problem (and no extra charge) - please ask in advance of your stay.
- Do you have 24 hour reception/room service?
No! We are not a large hotel with 300 staff, we are a small Bed & Breakfast providing homely 4 star accommodation in the most remote village and the most tranquil part of England, in the heart of Northumberland International Dark Sky Park, please think ahead a little so we can cater for your needs.
- I have heard mobile phone reception is a bit patchy, surely not?
There is effectively no mobile phone coverage, on any network, for about 20 miles radius of Kielder village.
If you assume this to be true then when you do get a signal this will be a bonus for you.
- Do you have WiFi?
We do have FREE WiFi Fibre Broadband within the B&B and this should cover most of you communication needs, we do have a "land line" phone too for emergencies (please ask) and there are 5 payphones in the village (for those of you under 40 years old Terry can provide Payphone identification & usage training for an unreasonable large fee).
- We are competing in an event and want an earlier breakfast, what can you provide?
If all of our visitors that day are competing we can move breakfast time to suit your pre-race eating regime.
Porridge & fruit/yogurt and toast are firm favourites. Eggs too. Full English for those with cast-iron constitutions! Please ask when you are booking.
- How close are you to Kielder Observatory?
We are the closest accommodation to the Observatory at 2.4 miles by road. We are 0.5 miles from the turning off the C200 main road.
It is a further 1.9 miles to the upper car park along the single track unmetaled forest road. Then a 1 minute walk to the Observatory itself.
- How long does it take to drive to Observatory?
A few first time visitors are a little apprehensive about driving into the forest in the dark but the 1.9miles from the main road only takes about 10minutes up to the Observatory car park - so if you leave the village (B&B or pub) 15minutes before doors open which is usually 15 ins before event start you will have plenty of time to get there. Obviously check your Observatory booking email for full information before travelling to Kielder.
As we are less than 2 minutes drive from the Observatory turnoff, if you are late getting to the area, please check-in before your event - it will take less than 3 minutes. Much better than trying to find a grumpy proprietor at 3:30am in the morning or sleeping in the bus shelter!
- We are visiting Kielder but do not drive how do we get there and in particular up to the Observatory?
Public transport to Kielder is minimal - see local timetable on our Contacts page
Getting about is therefore on bicycle (hire from The Bike Place At Kielder - they do e-bikes too!) or on foot.
There are a couple of local (within 18 miles) taxis - see Contacts page - we suggest early booking!
- We are visiting the Observatory and may return after 3am will this be an issue?
You will have keys to the B&B and your room so no problem with returning late / early - just respect those already asleep!
- Are you Dog friendly?
Yes we accept dogs - at no additional charge - please mention this in your booking. The local pub and castle tea rooms are dog friendly too!
- We are traveling to you on bicycles - are there any facilities for the bikes overnight?
Although we do not subscribe to the Bike Friendly Award Scheme we genuinely offer what you may require during your stay; including:
secure undercover cycle storage, kit drying area, bike wash down area, use of track pump/basic tools, local knowledge and a smile at the end of a hard day.
[Terry has been MTBing & cycling in Kielder since 1986, helped setup local trail building group and operated one of the village bike shops in 2012]
We are 10 minutes walk from the local bike shop The Bike Place At Kielder for spares, repairs, advice, hire (including e-bikes) and banter!
- Is there somewhere we can eat nearby in the evening?
The Angler's Arms pub is 5 minutes walk/1 min drive from the B&B. Serving food 12noon to 8pm daily. Ring to check on 01434 250072 especially in winter. Next options are 6miles, 11miles, 15miles, 16miles and 18 miles or eat on the way to us.
- Where can I park at Twenty Seven B&B?
There is on-street car parking immediately outside on the side nearest to the B&B, if the 4 spaces are busy, please park nearby; either side of the property, the lay-by across from the shop by the bottle bank, the lay-by further up the street. These are all on the public highway, there is no private parking and no charges to park. We would appreciate if you could park without mounting kerbs or popping a wheel or four on any grass, thank you.
- If I arrive early can I park and go for a walk?
Definitely! Please park as per 16. above, call in - I may be about, if not see you later during normal check-in times.
- Can I leave my bicycle in my vehicle outside the B&B?
If you wish, but obviously we cannot be responsible for your property, so follow crime prevention advice and common sense..
if you need to set up your bike or prepare yourself for the day ahead please use our grass immediately outside the B&B itself, rather than outside any neighbours' properties, or do it in our rear garden - it is less breezy and has hard standing especially when the front lawns are wet.
We would politely ask that you do not shock any aged or sensitive neighbours by stripping off on the front lawns - some of them don't get out much!
- How do we find you?
See information on our Contacts page
- Are you sure there are no mobile phone signals in Kielder village?
We do provide a limited mobile signal via the WiFi on the EE network only, so you may find you have a signal at the B&B.
- Where can I find more information on the area and things to do?
- Does this website conform to the new GDPR from 25th May 2018?